Safety is Part of Every Job and every employee is part of our “TGS Safety Team”
Our Core Safety Values:
- All injuries Can Be Prevented
- Working Safely is A Priority on Every Job
- Accident Prevention is good business – it increases productivity and minimizes human suffering.
- Management is responsible for providing a reasonable and safe workplace.
- Employees are ultimately responsible for their own personal safety and must follow all established safe work practices as a condition of employment.
- Management must audit and monitor safety performances and working environment conditions.
- Safety compliance and controlling future loss requires the participation of all Employees to improve safety awareness and prevent accidents and injuries.
TGS is committed to a Comprehensive Safety Program. Working in conjunction with our front line employees, our customers, and agencies like OSHA, EPA, and FRA we strive to ensure that all our employees receive the quality, up to date training that they need to work safely every day.
Our dedicated Safety & Training Department performs in-house safety audits, periodic inspections of all facilities, and promotes on-going training. In-house trainers are qualified to certify field personnel on most safety topics including: On Track Safety, HAZWOPER 40, OSHA 10, OSHA 30, and First Aid & CPR.
As special circumstances arise, our employees also benefit from trainings provided by SafeConstruction Consulting, LLC, our corporate safety consultant.
In addition, TGS works closely with local safety councils to offer additional training in many areas including, but not limited to:
- OSHA Basic Safety
- Fire Watch/Fire Safety & Prevention
- Flagger Training
- Confined Space Training
- Heavy Equipment Training & Certification
- Fall Protection
- Manual & Powered Hand Tools
- Electrical Safety
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Trenching & Excavation Safety
- Supervisor Training
- Benzene Awareness
- Welding & Cutting
- Scaffold Safety
- Hazard Communication – Right to Know
TGS employs a variety of Safety Strategies and Initiatives that encourage employee participation in our safety culture.
One such example is a program called “Peer’s Keeper” which assigns new employees to a mentor during their first 30 days following orientation. The program is designed to help new hires become safety conscious railroad employees, who are knowledgeable about the rules and regulations governing performance of their responsibilities, skillful at performing their basic duties and prepared to work independently and as the member of a train crew.
Other initiatives include Work Planning & Hazard Risk Analysis, Daily Job Safety Briefings, Daily Supervisor Audits, Operational Efficiency Tests, the Fatigue Risk Management Program, and fun activities like B-SAFE Bingo. TGS has a balanced view of discipline and incentives where Safety is concerned through rewards and penalties for Safety in Operations.